Why polycarbonate plastic is commonly used as a replacement for glass material in home or office improvement.
Polycarbonate clear plastic is much stronger and lighter than the real glass and it has a glass like clarity. Also, known as extremely versatile. If we will compare the weight, it is half of the actual weight of a glass at the same size and thickness. Plus, it is much tougher to glass from 4 times to 200 times, depending to its thickness. It can withstand or resist a high impact.
Key features are the following:
- Impact resistance: You can rest assured that it will not break to any standard to high impact done inside home, garden, or office. Even bullet will not pass through, or burglar will not be able to break it.
- Excellent optical clarity: Perfect replacement for camera lens, lighting glass, windows or even a wall.
- Hard wearing: You can expect it will have a long life span when it comes to durability, and burglar proofing. According to its record, over 10 years there are no significant changes in appearance.
- Weather resistant: Can withstand or resist rain, snow, or sand storm without wearing.
- Lightweight: Product price and shipping cost are much cheaper than the glass, and it’s easy to replace or carry anywhere.
- Fire or heat resistant: According to UK fire rating standard, it can withstand class 1 fire rating.
- Noise reduction: It’s known as sound insulation, which minimizing or reducing noise that pass through. The thicker the plastic the more it will reduce noise.
- Recyclable: Since its plastic, it is much easier to recycle than the glass. Plus, it does not use too much energy and resources to recycle.
Below are some of usage sample of polycarbonate plastic:
- Electronic components: Because of its durability, heat or fire resistant, and excellent optical clarity, its mostly used on electric components as insulator, lens, and lighting cover.
- Construction materials: The construction industry is the second largest user of polycarbonate plastic, mostly use as sounds walls, lighting cover, dome lights, helmet, window, door window, and a lot more…
- Cover: Use it as a protection or cover to various things.
- Medical application: Used in medical devices since 1960, to replace glass and metal in medical device or equipments. And because of glass like clarity, durability, and biocompatibility is essential to use in direct or indirect contact with patients.
- Phone device: Most phone companies or manufacture used polycarbonate plastic to their device, such as Samsung, Nokia, and other phone manufacturer.
I was surprised that mostly of our things at home are made from polycarbonate plastic, such as water bottle or container, mobile/smartphones body, tv screen protectors, picture frame cover, electric components and computers, and a lot more… Then, I realized that, it was the best replacement for mirror, window glass, table glass, and lighting cover for our home. It made me wonder also… Which is the first object was made from polycarbonate plastic for home or office use.
Below are some of other products that are very ideal for home usage as well:
Clear cast acrylic is a high quality and versatile plastic sheet material offering high levels of strength and clarity while being easy to work with.
High Gloss acrylic splashbacks are available in a wide range of colours to suit your kitchen and colour scheme. Save time by ordering splashbacks made to measure to your exact specifications. Quick and easy to fit, acrylic splashbacks are the most economical route to transforming your kitchen.
Using mirror in the garden is becoming an increasingly popular feature in today’s contemporary garden designs. Acrylic mirror is weather resistant and over ten times stronger than glass making it ideal for use outside. Plastic mirror benefits from being shatterproof and lightweight ensuring safety when used in busy gardens.
If you’re looking for more information, more options, and where to purchase, visit www.SimplyPlastic.com website.